Registration Open: April 16, 2022
Registration Deadline EXTENDED to May 13, 2022
Video Submissions Due: May 13, 2022
- The 2022 ASPD Online Freestyle Contest is a ‘play what you want, how you want’ competition, with up to six (6) minutes maximum playing time. Tunes, songs or a combination thereof are up to the discretion of the performer(s).
- Contestants of all ages and abilities are encouraged to enter as there are no ‘grades’ specified. This is meant to be a fun way to explore musicianship, creativity and camaraderie while performing at your very best.
- Contest submissions can include any combination of musicians but must include a minimum of one bagpiper, snare drummer, tenor drummer or bass drummer.
- Video submissions with bagpipes must be played on an acoustic bagpipe type instrument.
- Performances can also include additional piano, brass, wind, string or auxiliary percussion instruments; acoustic only.
- All instruments played in a video submission must be acoustic.
- Performers may perform on more than one instrument or with a group, up to a maximum of five (5) performers. Musicians can record together or separately and be edited together.
- Video submissions must show most or all of each performer’s body, including the head(s). Proper lighting and sound must be used with face(s) and hand(s) clearly seen; videos with poor quality lighting and/or sound may not be accepted.
- Highland dress is not required (yet encouraged!). However, any video submission with performers not fully clothed will not be accepted.
- Video submissions must be uploaded to YouTube and set to either “Public” (can be viewed by everyone) or “Unlisted” (can be viewed by only those with the link to the video). Please do not set to Private.
- The YouTube video title must start with the words “2022 ASPD Online Freestyle Contest” along with contestent name or group name. For example, “2022 ASPD Online Freestyle Contest, Anita Bath” or “2022 ASPD Online Freestyle Contest, Johnny and the Belly Button Lint”.
- An ASPD membership is not required in order to enter; however it is encouraged and can be found here: www.aspd.ca/members. Membership fees help sustain the Society throughout the season and allow execution and promotion of events such as this
- Event registration must be completed through (Click here to enter) along with payment of $10/submission before May 6, 2022. *Updated 05/04/22 - Event registration extended to May 13, 2022.
- Contestants must email the YouTube link to firstname.lastname@example.org before May 13, 2022 at 11:59 MST.
- Video performances must not be recorded before April 16, 2022 and will be unique to the 2022 ASPD Online Freestyle Contest, meaning it has not and will not be used in any other online competition.
- The 2022 ASPD Online Freestyle Contest will be judged by a secret panel of judges. To encourage an even playing field, each video submission will be adjudicated on performance, musicality and creativity. Points will be rewarded for each category and a grand total taken. The highest combination of points will determine the winner.
- Additionally, a potential ‘Audience Choice’ award may be awarded, if there are five (5) or more contest entries. By registering in this online contest, contestants grant permission to the ASPD to post on social media platforms to facilitate such an award.
- Results will be announced on May 20, 2022 via Facebook. Winners will also be notified via email and arrangements will be made to distribute prizes accordingly.
For any questions, please email us at email@example.com.